25 Of The Most Powerful Photographs Ever Taken
1. A Russian WWII veteran kneels down next to the tank he spent the war in. (source)
2. A missionary holds the hand of a Ugandan child. (1980, Mike Wells)
3. 17-year-old Jan Rose Kasmir offers a flower to soldiers during the anti-Vietnam-War protest at the Pentagon. (1967, Marc Riboud)
4. A heart surgeon and his assistant (in the corner) rests after a successful 23-hour long heart transplant. (James Stanfield)
5. A young man reacts to the news that his younger brother was a victim of a homicide outside of a high school in San Jose, California. (2013, Nhat V. Meyer)
6. Terri Gurrola is reunited with her daughter after being deployed in Iraq for 7 months. (2007, Louie Favorite)
7. Zanjeer the Golden Labrador is buried with full state honors in 2000. He served as a detection dog with the Mumbai police and saved thousands of lives through his service detecting many explosives and other weapons, particularly during the 1993 Mumbai bombings. (photo: STR News / Reuters)
8. Christians form a ring of protection around Muslims praying during the 2011 uprisings in Cairo, Egypt. (Nevine Zaki)
9. An Afghan man offers tea to American soldiers. (Rafiq Maqbool / AP)
10. The child of a KKK member touches the riot shield of an African-American state trooper during a demonstration in Gainesville, Georgia. (1992, Todd Robertson)
11. “Kissing Couple” Australian Scott Jones kisses his Canadian girlfriend Alex Thomas after she was knocked to the ground by a police officer’s riot shield during a hockey riot in Vancouver, Canada. (Rich Lam/Getty Images)
12. A college graduate with his father, a farmer in Thailand.
13. An unidentified Soviet soldier defiantly stares down Heinrich Himmler in a POW camp in 1941.
14. The iconic photo of “Tank Man”, the unknown protester who stood in front of a line of tanks as an act of defiance during the Tiananmen protests in Beijing, China. (1989, Jeff Widener / AP)
15. A young boy tries to drag his alcoholic father home.
16. The moment this young boy, Harold Whittles, hears for the first time in his life, after a Doctor places an earpiece in his ear. (Jack Bradley)
17. Eight-year-old Christian Golczynski accepts the flag for his father, Marine Staff Sgt. Marc Golczynski, during a memorial service. Marc Golczynski was shot on patrol during his second tour in Iraq. (2007, Aaron Thompson)
18. Firefighter David Tree gives a koala some water during the during the deadly Black Saturday bushfires that burned across Victoria, Australia, in 2009.
19. A North Korean man waves his hand as his South Korean relative wept, following a luncheon meeting during temporary reunions for families separated for six decades since the 1950-1953 war.
20. The 1968 Summer Olympics Black Power Salute: Gold medallist Tommie Smith (center) and bronze medallist John Carlos (right) raise their fists in a gesture of solidarity, described as a “human rights salute” by Tommie Smith, after the 200m. Australian Silver medalist Peter Norman wore an Olympic Project for Human Rights badge in support of their protest. Both Americans were expelled from the games.
21. A buddhist monk prays for an elderly man who had died suddenly while waiting for a train in Shanxi Taiyuan, China.
22. Retired Philadelphia police captain Ray Lewis is arrested during a Wall Street protest in New York City in 2011.
23. Pele and England Captain Bobby Moore trade shirts as a sign of mutual respect during a 1970 World Cup that had been tarnished with racism.
24. Sunset on Mars, taken by NASA’s Mars Exploration Rover Spirit on March 19, 2005.
25. “Earthrise” – a photograph of the Earth taken by astronaut William Anders during the Apollo 8 mission in 1968.